Search This Blog

Thursday, July 11, 2019

Five Nights at Freddy's Wall Mural

This is my work that I did on my boyfriends sons room. He is a huge fan of Five Nights at Freddy's
This project took about a week and a half to complete as the walls needed a lot of work before I could even start painting the fun stuff.

As you can see the room started off with a whole lot of holes, and spots that needed patching.
This picture is when we used Kilz Primer to cover up some permanent marker. That stuff works wonders.

 It needs a new window as this one didn't want to stay up, but that is another project.
 Patching of the holes. I swear I hate push pins and nails at this point and swear to never use them to hold up posters or pictures again.



 So many holes. I swear we never got them all either. Somewhere there are still more to be patched over. Children and their posters, and plastic used to cover windows in the winter. Tape, I mean there are plenty of products to be used that wont put this many holes in your walls.

 Kinda getting ridiculous now. 

 Finally, all patched up and painted a nice light grey. 





The floor has been cleaned a little, paint supplies all put away, Now its time to start with the impossible task of painting the checkered border. 
I first measured a twelve inch border around the room. This took a bit of doing since the room is slightly off level as the house has sunk a slight little bit on one side. You wouldnt think this would matter, but it makes a world of difference when trying to paint a checker border. You can't measure from the top or bottom because then it becomes off level. So I basically just took a level and made a straight line around the room, then measured twelve inches from that point ( I actually found a spare piece of floor tile that was 12 inches and used that to mark my line all the way around. By lining it up with my first line, and marking the top of the tile, I got a perfect 12 inches all the way around). I finally got a straight border around the whole room. It might be off a little but I couldn't tell. So, what does it really matter as long as its visually unnoticeable? I taped it off with painters tape and painted it white. Now I needed to mark for the checker pattern. A lot of people use painters tape and levels to do this. I am an artist. I could simply paint it in the time I taped it off and used rollers to paint it. I just had to mark the area off first. For those who might want to tape it off, which you probably would to get straight edges if you are not an artist or painter to start with. There are plenty of web pages that can help you with this if you google, painting checker borders.
 To measure for the squares, I came back to my trusty floor tile. I marked 6 inches towards the center. I started in a corner, and marked the 6 inch mark drawing a line straight down. Then placing my floor tile 6 inch mark on that line, I marked another 6 inch line. I did this all the way around the room, and I now had 12 inch tall 6 inch wide rectangles. So I went back and using my tile again, I marked off 6 inch lines horizontally. I now had my checker board marked off. I lost some of my pictures when trying to transfer from my phone to my computer, so I only have a picture of after I had already painted the checker pattern. I am now taping off the top and bottom to paint a red stripe as a border to the checkers.


 Finally I got the checker pattern and the border painted. The spot up in the corner is to make the wall look decayed like it is in the video game.


 I used an art projector to trace the FNAF (Five Nights at Freddy's) Logo onto the wall. Using craft acrylic paint, I start painting the design on the wall. This is always the fun part.

 Progress is slow, but its finally coming along. 

 Some missing pictures should have been placed here of my progress however they were lost. Pictures of pizzas being painted on the wall, progress being made on the logo. So, lets just pretend they are here and move along. Look great don't they? Yep, ok. Next. 



At this point we had to move the furniture back in and I would have to paint when I could. 

The checkered curtains his grandmother made. All of the checkered curtains I found, the pattern was too big for the look I was going for. Also, they were like 20 bucks, and for about 8 dollars we went and bought this smaller square pattern fabric and made them ourselves. As you can see,there are also  pizzas painted on the wall. Really wish I hadn't lost those pictures. 


                                 


We under lit his bed with LED Lights that we got off of Amazon for about 17 dollars. However, he has a bad habit of kicking underneath his bed, so these came down about a month later. I think if we had used a different method of sticking them underneath, they would have stayed. Really cool though while they lasted. They 17 different colors and a remote to change them with, or change the flash or fade pattern.




                           

The cabinet shown here is a cabinet that I took the doors off of because they were glass windowed, and felt they were not safe to put in a boys room, as they sometimes rough house. So, I  made new ones with roofing tin. I punched his favorite characters into the tin using a small nail. I then placed LED lights inside. I will make another post that shows the cabinet. I also lost some of those pictures. I am pretty proud that I made the doors myself though. However, the wood on the cabinet is slightly warped on the top, so its not a perfect fit. I didnt realize the wood was warped until I went to put the doors on. 

 Finally, a week later, and its finished. Outlines painted, characters highlighted. All of those little dots, which could be better, but hey, they are on there. With a combination of sponge application for the big ones, and using the end of a brush to dot the others on.

 Up close and personal looks at each character. 








No comments: